Folks, we are back with another Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase!
The Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase is an opportunity to bring the best of two great worlds together by showing off high quality Free Culture content in Ubuntu. At the heart of Ubuntu’s ethos is a belief in showcasing Free Software and Free Culture, and with each development cycle we present the opportunity for any Free Culture artist to put their work in front of millions of Ubuntu users around the world. Although the space restrictions are tight, and we are limited to how much content we can include, the Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase is an excellent opportunity for artists everywhere. I am always hugely inspired by the wonderful entries that we recieve in each competition and I am excited about the opportunities we have to ship awesome Free Culture content with Karmic!
Please note, this time we are not including photo entries as the Ubuntu Art Team already has a competition for submitting photo and graphic content for inclusion as wallpapers.
The winning submissions will be made available on the shipped CDs and download images of the Ubuntu 9.04 release. Every user will be able to find the content in the
Examples/ folder in a home directory.
With this competition we are accepting submissions for audio, video, and graphic/photo submissions. We have a winner to find for each category, and the competition closes on 28th February 2010. The time is short on this competition, so you better get cracking on some stunning entries!
Entering the showcase is simple:
- Your submission must be one of the following:
- Audio Entries – no larger than 1MB in size – made available in Ogg Vorbis format.
- Video Entries – no larger than 2.5MB in size – made available in Ogg Theora format.
- All entries must be licensed and distributable under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike or Creative Commons Attribution license.
- Upload your submission somewhere online (there are lots of free hosting solutions available such as archive.org). Do not email any of the organisers or judges with your submissions.
- Add your entry to one of the submission tables at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase.
- When the deadline for submissions closes, our panel of judges will pick a shortlist, and the Community Council will then pick the final winners from the shortlist.
The deadline is 28th February 2010 and you can read more about it at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase.