Today we launched our next Ubuntu App Showdown.
The idea is simple: you have six weeks to build an application with the Ubuntu SDK that converges across both phone and tablet (which is simple). We have the following categories, each of which has a prize:
- QML – a native app written in QML (wins a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet).
- HTML5 – a native app written in HTML5 (wins a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet).
- Ported – an app that has been ported from another platform to Ubuntu and used the Ubuntu SDK (wins a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet).
We are also delighted to include an additional category with two prizes sponsored by Meizu:
- Chinese – an app that is written in either QML or HTML5 that would be of most interest to Chinese users, such as connecting to Chinese sites and services (2 x Meizu MX3s as prizes).
In preperation for the showdown we have also landed a number of significant improvements to HTML5 in the Ubuntu SDK. This includes:
- Our HTML5 technology has been fully revamped and now all works from a single container.
- A new single default template for creating your HTML5 app.
- Full access to device sensors via cordova.
- API documentation.
- A brand new HTML5 section on developer.ubuntu.com complete with new guides, tutorials, API docs, and more.
Remember, we award extra point for blogging about and sharing on social media about your app and how it is developing, so be sure to share your work! Good luck!